- 3 cups water
- 1 cup cups unsweetened vanilla [or unsweetened original flavor] almond milk, soy milk [any dairy substitute]
- 1 TB coconut butter or unsalted butter
- 1 cup steel-cut oats (choose certified gluten-free oats if necessary)
- 1/4 tsp salt [ground Himalayan Pink]
- Optional mix-ins: ground spices like cinnamon, dried fruit like cranberries or chopped dates, toasted chopped nuts like walnuts, lemon or orange zest, etc.
- Combine the water and milk a large pot/saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
- While that is heating up, melt the butter in a large pan on medium heat.
- Once shimmering, add the oats and cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes or until golden.
- Stir the oats into the simmering water/milk mixture. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer gently for about 20 minutes and stir occasionally. The mixture should become very thick.
- Stir in the salt and continue to simmer the mixture. You may need to reduce the heat as the liquid gets absorbed by the oats, be sure to do this to avoid burning.
- The oatmeal will be very creamy when it’s done. Serve hot and add anything you want.