Ingredients: Tofu Nuggets
- 1 block tofu (frozen, thawed, drained)
- 2 eggs (whisked in a bowl) [or 2 TB flaxseed meal and 4 TB water mixed together]
- 1-2 cups gluten free breading [in a bowl]
- 1 serving of savory asian sauce [or see below, after tofu nugget prep/pictures]
Note: Thaw your tofu out by placing it on the edges of a small bowl within a larger bowl, this ensures no mess of the liquid and oil that drains off of it. Once thawed, press and gently squeeze out any remaining liquid. If you are using fresh tofu, simply skip the thawing process and gently squeeze out as much liquid as possible. The purpose of thawing the tofu like this is to create a more chicken/meat-like texture and to remove some of the oils inside the tofu.
Instructions: Tofu Nuggets
- Cut the tofu your desired length of cut. It’s recommended that you cut your tofu into three equal pieces. From there, halve those pieces, totaling in 6 pieces. Quarter the 6 pieces of tofu so you are left with 24 nugget sized pieces.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk until they become smooth.
- Using chopsticks or a fork, place one piece of tofu into the eggs and coat evenly.
- Remove the tofu from the egg wash, be sure to gently jostle the tofu to remove any excess egg and place into the gluten free breading mix and evenly coat.
Note: Do each nugget individually or two at a time.
- Place the completed tofu nugget on parchment and/or wax paper, more importantly a dry surface until the rest are completed.
- Once all the nuggets are done bake the nuggets at 350°F for roughly 30-45 minutes. Flip halfway through cooking. If you are using a pizza stone be sure to preheat it, if you are using a baking sheet there is no need to preheat it.
- Remove the tofu nuggets and coat them evenly with the sauce, place back in the oven for another 15 minutes.
Note: You can add caramelized onion and kale with garlic to make topping for Nuggets as well. There is no limitation to what sauce you do, choose your preferred sauce for the method is the same for all or check out the sauce below.
Ingredients: Tofu Nugget Sauce
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 TB olive oil, rice vinegar, yellow mustard
- 1 TB ginger (grated)
- 3-4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2-4 dried chili peppers (whole)
- 1 1/2 TB brown sugar
- 1/2 cup veggie broth
- 1/2 cup water [or just 1 cup water if no broth is available]
- 1/2 -1 TB sriracha [or more, add to taste]
- 3 TB hoisin sauce [or gluten free alternative]
- 4 TB low sodium soy sauce, sweet chili sauce
Optional: 1 strip of orange zest
Instructions: Tofu Nugget Sauce
- Add the olive and sesame oils to a small pot and cook at medium-high heat.
- Once oil is hot, should only take 1 minute or so, add the garlic, ginger, and dried chili peppers and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Once the garlic and ginger are aromatic, add the rice vinegar, mustard, brown sugar and ½ cup of water and mix thoroughly. Continuously stir and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the mixture comes to a low boil.
- Pour in the veggie broth, sriracha, hoisin, soy, and sweet chili sauce and mix until homogenous mixture is achieved, if you are using orange zest, add that here. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes or until sauce has thickened up.
- Remove chili peppers, and if using orange zest, you can add some or all of the seeds if you really like spice, and compost.
- Sauce can be saved for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.